SDG Trade Monitor
The SDG Trade Monitor is an online analytical portal that gathers information on trade-related indicators to provide policymakers and trade experts with a better understanding of how trade is included in the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, and helps users track the progress being made in international trade towards achieving global Sustainable Development Goals.
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are a global call to action to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure that by 2030 all people enjoy peace and prosperity. They encompass 17 Goals and 169 targets, six of which are specific to trade.
Trade is therefore a crucial engine for development. With this in mind, the International Trade Centre, the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), and the World Trade Organization (WTO) developed the SDG Trade Monitor.
The SDG Trade Monitor’s online repository contains up-to-date information on the six SDG trade-related targets and complementary indicators so as to:
- Help streamline the statistical coordination process behind the SDG trade-related indicators;
- Provide a centralized and interactive one-stop-shop on this set of data;
- Allow trade policymakers to conduct customized analyses and regional and country-level data comparisons.
What are the six trade-related SDG indicators?
- Agricultural export subsidies
- Aid for Trade commitments and disbursements
- Proportion of tariff lines applied to imports from least developed countries and developing countries with zero-tariff
- Worldwide weighted tariff-average
- Developing countries and least developed countries’ share of global exports
- Average tariffs faced by developing countries, least developed countries and small island developing states
The platform also provides these complementary indicators:
- Export diversification index
- Share of exports admitted duty-free
- Ratio of exports over GDP
- Share of exports by markets and products
What are the key functionalities?
- Intuitive interface to explore trade-related indicators and navigate goals and targets;
- Comparison of national and regional trends;
- State-of-the-art visual approach with graphical options that can be easily shared or embedded into other websites or publications;
- Data exploration from a country and product perspective;
- Data download functionalities;
- Customized analytic reports;
- Availability in multiple languages, including English, French and Spanish.